Monday, February 28, 2011

On death and dying

My son has had to deal with a lot of loss already in his life.  I sometimes wonder if it has been too much for him.  My brother recently passed away and was cremated so that has lead to some very interesting conversations between my son and myself. 

This past week one of his hermit crabs passed away and at first I did what any parent would do...I didn't tell him.  I figured he wouldn't even notice if the shell was still just sitting in the aquarium.   I am the one that feeds and cares for the thing anyway.  Then the motherly guilt took over so on the way to school, I just casually mentioned that the hermit crab had passed away.  I told him that we could bury it when he got home from school.  He said to me " I want to cremate it so I can keep it with me always".  I just sat there in stunned silence for a minute and then realized that he didn't even know the hermit crab's name!   So it goes without saying that once I called him out on that little fact, we decided to bury it.  Which reminds me, it is still sitting in my freezer in a plastic bag......

No comments:

Post a Comment